10 Inspiring Quotes By Black Women

January 11, 2010 by
Filed under featured, inspiration

Here are 10 quotes to inspire you to keep going. When the going gets tough, its time to dig in your heals and stay focused. Let’s get it in in 2010!

You don’t become what you want; you become what you believe.
Oprah Winfrey

You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.
Maya Angelou

Sometimes you’ve got to let everything go—purge yourself . . . If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you’ll find that when you’re free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.
Tina Turner

Don’t settle for average. Bring your best to the moment. Then, whether it fails or succeeds, at least you know you gave all you had. We need to live the best that’s in us.
Angela Bassett

I really don’t think life is about the I-could-have-beens. Life is only about the I-tried-to-do. I don’t mind the failure but I can’t imagine that I’d forgive myself if I didn’t try.
Nikki Giovanni

I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminshes fear.
Rosa Parks

Whatever we believe about ourselves and our ability comes true for us.
Susan L. Taylor

Just don’t give up what you’re trying to do. Where there is Love and inspiration, I don’t think you can go wrong.
Ella Fitzgerald

When I dare to be powerful – to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.
Audre Lorde

Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit. We are all the same in this notion: The potential for greatness lives within each of us.
Wilma Rudolph

Enjoyed this post? Fill in the form below to subscribe, or click here to subscribe to my RSS feed.

Comments

17 Responses to “10 Inspiring Quotes By Black Women”
  1. Kelli says:

I am going to share these with my class! I am always trying to inspire my students to give their best. I teach at a school that is about 50% black and many of them fail to see the positive role models they have within their own race (and they need that on certain levels to be able to relate). You are awesome… just so you know. ;)

• Anilia says:

You’re awesome too Kelli! =) I remember what it was like in school – we heard about the same handful of famous and historic black people. After a while you become accustomed to the history and don’t see their accomplishments as noteworthy. Like we take for granted how much of a sacrifice that MLK made… I hope these quotes inspire your students to dig deeper for their everyday heroes. Let me know how they respond to them.

2. Sherry Hithon says:

Anilia,
    Just now reading Inspiring Quotes. Anilia you never fail to amaze me! A Big THANKS For All You Say You Do……Sherry H.

3. Blake Rogers says:

Tina Turner will always be a legend in music history.*.:

4. Tina Turner offers a great vocal range and such powerful voice`”-

5. Lokeshia Perry says:

Thank U for the inspirational Quotes. Each day I need somethin to motivate me or to make me feel good about myself!!! God Bless You!! <3

6. Classypro says:

Hi Anilia! What beautiful quotes! I stumbled on your website by accident and am glad that I came here! Keep up the great work Sista! – Dr. C

7. Priscilla says:

Awesome blog!

8. Thanks for sharing these quotes as I will pass on the inspiration!

9. Elle says:

This is a great list of inspiring quotes by well known black women. I will be visiting your site more often. http://cleverlychanging.com/?p=1979

10. Love You Miss Inspiration, And Don’t Loose Your Voice

11. Jeanine says:

Thank you so much for these powerful quotes. I have a brunch with some Phenomenal women every month. A Collective of Women that are striving to better themselves, support each other, and use our talents to help other sistahs. Our Sistah-hood needs to hear these words that truly make a difference and motivate.

12. Very positive sister! Here’s one of my favorites: “A bird doesn’t sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.” – Maya Angelou

13. gretta says:

Thanks for the quotes! I am using the Audre Lorde one on the bottom of my emails. What an inspiration she was! And, obviously, still is!!!

gretta

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. self worth quotes…

[...]10 Inspiring Quotes By Black Women | Motivated Sista[...]…