Come Drop In My Bucket

June 24, 2010 by
Filed under inspiration, motivation

Do you have a bucket list? I admit that I hadn’t heard of this phenomenon until the movie with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. One thing that’s funny about me, as much as I like to feel good, I avoid ‘feel good’ movies. To me they’re pointless because you already know the outcome of the movie. Well with most movies you do, but I’m just sayin’… you know if Denzel is doing something, at the end of the movie he’s gonna win. Where’s the suspense and anticipation in that? (Y’all know I’m special..lol..)

The gist of the movie was that these two old guys threw caution to the wind and had all these experiences that they’d been desiring their whole lives. They called their list their bucket list – their list of things to do before they kicked the bucket. What’s interesting is that their families didn’t like it… I mean Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson ain’t no spring chickens here, but that just shows you that no matter what you do folks are gonna have something to say. So you know what I say,
do you and be happy!!

I’ve been carrying around my list in my head for years, but was inspired to share it with you guys after reading Cody’s Post over at Thrilling Heroics. And I can’t share everything… I’m an introvert at heart, so sharing my bucket list is like pulling back the dressing room curtain while I’m getting dressed! LOL

It is my hope that you’ll drop a few ideas in my bucket (hence the title of this post), and if you don’t have one, to gather your thoughts and write your dreams down. Because if you don’t at least recognize that you need a map, how can you ensure that you’ll reach all the points along your destination? I’d love it if you shared yours with me, but if not that’s ok too. I just want to inspire you to continue to dream. As Les Brown says, “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.”

So here’s my list,

50+ Adventures to Embark On Before I Kick the Bucket:

(not in a particular order)

Business

• Earn at least $3,000 from online income
  • Grow blog subscribers to 5,000
  • Write a free ebook for subscribers
  • Help at least 5 people to achieve a major goal
  • Attend South by Southwest, TED and other major conferences
  • Organize a Motivated Sista Conference
  • Start a copywriting business
  • Start a blog installation business

Travel

• Visit Port-de-Paix, Haiti, where my dad’s family is from

• Image Credit

• Live in Paris for a month while running my businesses

• Take a trip around the world
  • Visit each continent at least once
  • Take a trip to Europe with my (future) kids
  • Travel on The Royal Scotsman
  • Have drinks in a pub in Ireland

• Drive across the US in a Volkswagen hippy van

• Visit the Maldives
  • Eat Chinese food in China
  • Eat Thai food in Thailand
  • Live abroad for a year

• Image Credit

• Attend the Running of the Bulls

• Drive on the Autobahn
  • Take a tour of gothic churches (haven’t figured out which country yet)
  • Attend Carnival in Brazil

• Learn to hike
  • Learn to ski
  • Become fluent in 5 languages – French, Spanish, German, Kreyol and Italian
  • Model in at least 3 fashion shows
  • Meet Oprah
  • Run in a 5K
  • Learn to sew my own clothes
  • Get at least 2 more tattoos
  • Receive the Toastmasters International Distinguished Toastmaster award
  • Serve as the keynote motivational speaker at a conference
  • Tour the White House
  • Publish at least one novel that reaches #1 on the New York Times Bestsellers List
  • Attend the World Fantasy Convention
  • Attend WorldCon

• Learn to rock climb

• Learn to play the piano
  • Become a licensed sommolier

• Watch the sun rise on the beach

• Learn to surf

I bet I left some things off… what are some of your bucket list items?What have I listed that you also want to experience? I welcome you to drop a few of your ideas in my bucket!

Enjoyed this post? Fill in the form below to subscribe, or click here to subscribe to my RSS feed.

Comments

19 Responses to “Come Drop In My Bucket”
  1. Vanessa F. says:

Lets see,

Visit every state in the U.S.
    Visit the eastern hemisphere. I have this side of the world covered pretty well.
    Take up photography
    Learn Portuguese
    Write a book.

Its late so I can’t think of any more right now. 45 more to go!

• Anilia says:

Lol… now you know how I felt. I was aiming for 75 but couldn’t make it =)

You should come along with me when I drive my VW van across the US!

• Vanessa F. says:

I plan to work on the other 45 items this week. The ol’ 9 to 5 will be a ghost town leading up to the 4th of July weekend, giving me sometime to think deeply about my own bucket list.

Just let me know when you plan to make the trip. I have gas money! And I’m really good at directions!

2. You love the Audi A8 too! OMG! I pant when I see that car. I’m not wishing that’s my next car, I’m saying I know it will be.

You like SciFi Conventions too! Man, my girlfriend and I go, and we can count on one hand the number of black women there. Please girl, add some color to these events!

I really like your Motivated Sister Conference idea, and I think you should do motivational speaking ASAP. Black women need cheerleaders. Not only that – your motivational speaking will be the best pivot to get you to the other goals. There’s an Association of Speakers (?) that I believe have a lot of top / famous motivational speakers. I know you YouTube, and that’s an excellent place to test the waters.

Your free e-book could be all your best blog posts. There are websites/software that will do that for you.

If you become a raw vegan and go natural, I can tell you – your hair will grow like crazy.

Okay, let me stop …

My bucket list has been shrinking over the years, but I do like the living overseas for a year idea. I wish I did that already.

Like you, I want a passive income stream. I can’t settle on a number, but it has to be more-than-enough.

Debts be gone.

A wonderful husband, and kids if possible.

Every 4 months – go anywhere around the world. Like spin a globe and bang! that’s the place to go.

• Anilia says:

oooh Betty I love the spin-the-globe idea, so um… if you see it again… :-P
      Tell me why, when I see an Audi I’m all like “but that’s not an 8 so I don’t care”..ha!
      Right now I’m in the midst of a few projects but I’m definitely going to start training to be a speaker this year. I figure I’ll start with Toastmasters to get over my fear of speaking (“feel the fear and do it anyway!”) and strike out on my own when I have more experience.

As far as the book, I have a few ideas that will be better served in a book instead of posts.

And don’t stop at all! I welcome your comments and drops in my bucket! =) I’m really glad that your list is shrinking, go head now!

3. Big Sam! says:

As a person who has almost exhausted my original list, this has inspired me to do a new, more ambitious list. One of the few things that I haven’t done is take an Alaskan Cruise in late summer so that I can experience the AURORA BOREALIS with my own senses.

• Professher says:

Can we get a cabin together? None of my friends either wants to go or can afford to. I want to cruise Alaska, despite that S.P. creature….

4. Miss V says:

Anilia, here’s a few for me:
    1. Become fluent in Spanish and maybe Japanese.
    2. Become a latin dancer. I’m 42, so I’m not sure if I could do it professionally. I would like to at least be able to travel and compete in the ballroom dancing contests. I saw the movie “Dance With Me” with Vanessa Williams and Chayanne, a hot latin singer, and I’ve been hooked ever since LOL.
    3. Buy myself and my son a home.
    4. Finish my Anthropology degree once and for all.
    5. Save some money/make more money.
    6. Become a raw vegan and make green smoothies.
    7. Go to Kemet and sail on the Nile.
    8. Go to Paris.
    9. Go to Japan.
    10. Take up pottery again.
    11. Fill up my gas tank and see how far south/southeast it’ll take me.
    12. Live by the ocean. Although I live near the ‘Mighty Mississippi’ here in Memphis, I’m sure that it doesn’t compare.
    13. Visit, maybe live in Savannah, GA. I’ll still be here in the South and will be near the ocean and go to the beach. I hear it’s nice there.
    14. Get a new car. I need to learn more about cars.

You know, I’ma do a copy and paste to a Word document, print it and make a vision board!!

Thanks for this article?!!

• Anilia says:

heyyyy Miss V! *waving*
      A friend of mine competes in ballroom competitions too.. she loves it and I’m sure you will too! Now why you put your age on there… the only way you’ll know if you can compete professionally is if you try! And just because you get one ‘No’ does not mean you can’t do it.

Let me know how your progress goes as a raw vegan. I really love green smoothies and I’m at the beginning of my transition, so you can have them at any time.

I love the gas tank idea! I might borrow that one from you too LOL

And you knooowwww I was so excited for you that you’re making this into a vision board! I’d love to see it when you’re done!

5. Miss V says:

15. Oh, and I forgot love and marriage with a wonderful man.

6. Melany says:

Here’s a few things on my list:

1. Read The Bible Genesis to Revelation.

2. Become a licensed nail technician (even if I never work as a nail tech, just having the certification & keeping it current is such a dream!)

3. Become fluent in Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, Kreyol, French & Italian (yes, I can!)

4. Get married.

5. Buy a home.

6. Get a Master’s degree.

7. Research family history.

8. Make a wedding cake (I have such a fascination w/ wedding cakes.)

9. Visit the Damone Roberts salon & have the man himself shape/arch my brows.

10. Visit New Orleans & eat a beignet at Cafe du Monde.

11. Visit the Miss Favela Brazilian bistro in Brooklyn.

Anilia, I’m no longer using the screen name Park Avenue. Oh, by the way…I found a bottle of Sally Hansen’s Hidden Treasure at WalMart. Oh, the joy! :)

• Anilia says:

Mel (the artist formerly known as Park Ave lol), I used to read the Bible from cover to cover as a kid (I’m such a nerd, but thats ok). There are reading plans you can follow to read it in 3 months, a year etc. If you haven’t already found one, just google ‘read the bible in 3 months’ or something similar.

And yes you can become fluent in all those languages! I’m looking for a good Kreyol study program myself.

Do you have the Damone Roberts OPI polish? I’ve not heard of Hidden Treasure, lemme go google!

7. Linnea says:

You have a great list….wow, it’s great to dream about things we would like to accomplish. Let’s see what I can come up with, hmmmmmm…..

1) Become a published author
    2) Maintain a pescetarian diet (at the least….even though this oil spill business is making me rethink seafood and fish period :-/)
    3) Become a licensed therapist and run a private practice out of my home
    4) Heal within
    5) Become a foster/adoptive parent
    6) Travel to Martinique, Bali, and West Africa
    7) Take a cruise with my mother and siblings
    8) Buy an old home and renovate it from top to bottom

……that’s all for now

8. rainebeaux says:

Hi there! Uh, here’s part of my as-yet-unwritten bucket list, in descending order of immediacy (is that a word?)…
    ____

***Jettison smokes, energy drinks, the bad temper/anger problem(s) and the urge to explain myself to useless, non-reciprocating parties. (The next four are the most closely connected to this one.)

*Dissolve my fiery hatred toward the sperm donor once and for all

*Strive to embrace (single *groan*) motherhood. Support system’s shot, might as well get used to continue going it alone.

*Find a job or two I can halfway tolerate, THEN QUICKLY figure out this passive income stuff

*Figure out what the heck I want to go to school for; apply accordingly

*Wear dresses/skirts at least four times weekly. Just started this week, actually, but skipped today. :D

~a little further down the line, but not much.~

Visit Branson, Missouri. (What? I wanna get my Yakov on, lol.) I’ll get to the rest of this country/world shortly; just want to get this part squared away.

Become a voice actor (SOMEBODY has to pick up where the late Don LaFontaine–the dude you heard in movie trailers saying “In a world…”–left off. LOL.)

^As a fellow introvert, I must stop here…hope I inspired someone. *curtsies, exits stage right*

• Anilia says:

bwahahaha…’immediacy’ is definitely a word :-P

“the urge to explain myself to useless, non-reciprocating parties.” my 2 cents is that this is the most important one to jettison!

I loved Don LaFontaine… I used to watch THAT MANY movies… so yeah he is missed! Do ya thang lady!

9. Itiel says:

*Rock Climbing
    *Learn the Art/Sport of Fencing
    *Travel the U.S.
    *Go To a Foreign Country w/ Husband
    *Go To a Foreign Country w/ Daughters
    *Own (not make payments) on a BMW 700 Series
    *Visit Hong Kong, Japan, Indonesia, New Zealand and get to really know the people
    *Visit All the Continents
    *Continue To Have A Successful Marriage
    *See My Daughters Live a Happy Fulfilled Life
    *Own Smell Goods Specialty Stores in Vacation Areas
    *Go Skiing
    *Learn How To Swim
    *Participate In TriAthlon

10. I love this!

The couple tasks I’m working on marking off my list in 2011-2012:
    - Write & Publish a book (http://www.loveyourworklife.com/write)
    - Cycle the US promoting the book and doing talks about following our dreams and living passionately.

I love your blog, lady!
    Betty Jean Bell recently posted: 11 Ways to Make Make Your Employees Love You and your business