Go Way Beyond The Secret

August 30, 2010 by
Filed under law of attraction

The phenomenally popular movie The Secret is, without a doubt, a blockbuster hit. It’s also, without a doubt, one of the worst things to happen in the field of metaphysics in recent memory.

It came out a few years ago and almost everyone I’ve mentioned it to has heard of it. I can’t remember when I first saw it, but its definitely one of the things that’s changed my life.

Why I Loved The Secret

When I was growing up, I was taught to go to school, get a good education and get a good job. As I started learning about history (and becoming a history buff in the process), I came across historical figures who hadn’t received a college education but who were wealthy or powerful. I couldn’t figure out what separated those people from someone like me. I also couldn’t figure out why everyone followed the ‘get a good education and get a good job’ formula but no one really had anything to show for it. I’m not blaming my parents and my family, because they did the best they could with what they had. I just wonder how often people really question the general consensus.

So somehow I stumbled upon The Secret and I instantly felt the law of attraction was the truth. Not only that, I felt like something slid in place in my mind – this was the answer to the questions that I’d been looking for. Some of those same historical figures I previously learned about were quoted in the movie. It was like, here’s what they knew that most people don’t know.

Why The Secret Gets The Thumbs Down

As you’ve probably already guessed, The Secret – the law of attraction – is really no secret. I commend Rhonda Byrne and the team behind the movie for tapping into the power of marketing to make the movie go viral. Because I mean really, if someone offered to tell you this great secret, would you say no?

As much as I love the movie, my gripe is that it dumbs down the concept of the law of attraction. I’m naturally inquisitive and love immersing myself in information, so I took the ball and ran with it. I spent a period of time after I saw the movie soaking up all the information I could about the law of attraction. But most people aren’t going to do that. Most people will take the information given at face value, and then dismiss it as a load of crock when it doesn’t work for them.

The Secret also leaves a bad taste in my mouth because a cottage industry has sprung up around it. There are so many books, info products, movies and other things that a newbie has to wade through in order to figure out what’s real and what really works. I know that business is business, people need to eat too but I also feel that learning about this universal law can really change a person’s life. We don’t need to wade through a mine field in order to do that.

How You Can Go Beyond The Secret

I decided to write about the law of attraction today because I see so many people get frustrated when trying to incorporate it into their lives. The Secret was great for introducing the law of attraction to the masses and I’m forever grateful for it being the catalyst that started me on my own journey of exploration. But the movie is literally the first step in the journey. I’ve spent countless hours reading, watching videos and experimenting with different techniques and I’ve distilled all of that into a method that works for me.

The starting point of understanding the law of attraction is knowing what it literally means. The law of attraction is a universal law – meaning that its a law that’s in place and works in the Universe whether you know about it or believe in it. It doesn’t matter if you believe in the law of gravity. When an apple falls off a tree, its going to hit the ground. So it is with the law of attraction.

The law of attraction is “that which is like unto itself is drawn”. Stated another way, “like attracts like”. It’s also stated as “you get what you think about, whether you want it or not.” I could go on and on, but the basic concept is that your thoughts can become things. The law works in three steps: you ask for something by having thoughts of it; the Universe answers that asking and brings the subject of the thought to you; and then you receive what you’ve asked for. Each step of the process can take up a whole book by itself (and I wouldn’t be surprised if someone has written about each individually).

This is one of my favorite topics in the whole wide world and I’ll be writing a whole series on the law of attraction. I’m publishing the next part of this series tomorrow. Is there anything specific you’d like to discuss, or that you want me to address? What have been some of your experiences with the law of attraction?

Enjoyed this post? Fill in the form below to subscribe, or click here to subscribe to my RSS feed.

Comments

9 Responses to “Go Way Beyond The Secret”
  1. richard says:

i like the law of attraction by Abraham Hicks best, i have on my mp3 player. i play it all the time to remind me to think about what i want!

• Anilia says:

I luv Abraham too Richard. I started with ‘Ask And It Is Given’ and read a few of their other books too. I’ll write more about them later on in the series. They really helped me understand the LOA and how my mind works.

2. Rhonda Byrne has been writing a new book called The Power, a follow up of The Secret.

“The knowledge contained in The Power can and will change lives instantly. And the profound revelations are amplified by the book’s breathtaking illustrations – the book’s beauty is truly astounding.”

The Power is the book Rhonda Byrne was inspired to write after answering several thousands of letters from readers of The Secret.
    I am reading it right now. It is good……I’ll get back when I am done reading it:)

• Anilia says:

Because of how The Secret was so sensationalized, I admit that I’m skeptical. Let me know what you think once you’ve finished it, I might read it out of curiosity :-)

3. lever says:

I don’t understand how we are to believe such “laws” when we think of what was doing during slavery. Manifesting one’s reality sounds great today and like a “law;” however, when one was enslaved, one’s attempt to manifest a different reality….

I appreciate your discussing this topic. I’d otherwise ignore it, were it not for my high opinion of your blog and writing, LOL!

• Anilia says:

I think this is a very interesting comment (but probably not for the reason you think).

Instead of pondering what I’ve written and how it pertains to your life, you chose to go back 200-some years and wonder how other people’s thoughts affected their lives. How does thinking about those long-dead thoughts help to improve your life? How do your thoughts affect YOUR life, today??

How can you know what a slave’s thoughts were? If they were anything like us, they probably saw the brands on their body and the chains on their limbs, and believed that that was the only life possible for them. They listened to majority society that said they were subhuman and chattel property. Maybe they didn’t focus on what they wanted, but instead focused on what they didn’t want, and brought about more of what they didn’t want.

But there were a few who believed differently. They knew the truth about who they were and chose to focus their minds on the freedom that they wanted. And the Universe responded by orchestrating abolitionists who advocated for the end of slavery; rebels like Harriet Tubman who fought for others to be free; radicals like Nat Turner and John Brown and sons who acheived their ends by ‘any means necessary’. And a President who may not have intended the future that we have today, but ended slavery in America anyway.

You can find a million situations to argue against the law of attraction, and that’s your choice. Like I wrote, it works whether you believe in it and use it or not. Please continue to ignore any topics that you don’t agree with, and focus on what is prosperous for you.

4. LWBarbe says:

I like the Secret and use it often. It’s a way of living and thinking. I know that a lot of people who don’t get results right away call it hooey. The book could go a bit further and I will get the other book. I’ve started to read many like books and I take what I want from each one. I think a problem with people when they read the Secret, is that they sit around and wait for things to happen. You also have to get moving and be ready for when things turn around for you.

If you want to play piano and do concerts, all the positive thinking in the world won’t work if you don’t learn how to play and practice. It’s easy to say you want to be a writer and haven’t set pen to paper or turn on you laptop.

Plus a lot of people don’t want to work to make things better for themselves. It’s easy to have a pity party and stay in your confort zone and say things don’t work. Change hurts. You don’t have to believe in the Secret. It’s hard but if you want something, eventually you’ll do it. I can’t wait to read the next book. Love your post.

• Anilia says:

I totally agree with everything you wrote.

And therein lies the crux of the mentality of alot of people who watched The Secret: they assumed it was the end-all, be-all and didn’t make the connection that action is still needed.

But not just any action… inspired action. I’m sure you’ve learned from your own study how to listen to the Universe’s nudges in order to facilitate the manifestations you’re focusing on. That part is sooo important, and I don’t think it gets addressed enough.

Glad to see you ‘get it’.

5. Miss V says:

I absolutely love this post! I’m dealing with my ‘stuff’ right now, but I’m learning…I have learned that what you put out DEFINITELY WILL COME BACK TO YOU, whether you want it to or not. When one doesn’t handle their business, it will come back and bite them.

I’m living proof of that. Now I’m in the process of undoing the damage I’ve done. But it’s all good.